Thursday, July 14, 2005

Introduction to physical activity project

Physical Activity as I understand it

"Physical activity is all movements in everyday life, including work, recreation, exercise, and sporting activities..." WHO, 1997 (See also)

For our wellbeing we should have a balanced mixture of different kind of physical activity. It is as important what we do, than how much activity we have. (Compare to wood diets. It not just how much you eat, but also what you eat.) In physical activities it might be important also how often you have a break and how much time you take to recover from previous stress.

I want to understand what is the minimum amount of physical activity that we need to keep healthy and what is the maximum amount until the stress starts wearing us out in the long run. (This is about our life time, not just a short 1 – 2 year training.)

Even though this project is about Physical Activity, it is important to deal with the hole human. I see us from three points of views – Social, mind and body. (Even though much of the “social” is just in our imagination, I think it is important. For instance my slogan is “ubuntu”.)

I think that eastern philosophy might treat humans more as a hole than our way of digging deeper and slicing things to bits and pieces. (No scientific facts here, just hear say.) I want to compare western and none western way of seeing Physical Activity. I do look at it from Physical Exercise, but all the time I have to keep reminding me that this is not about practicing. It is about keeping functional. What do we do to keep our self’s functional as long as possible?

This is what I want to study and collect knowledge about. And this is where I need every ones help. I am interested in different exercises and also about ways of life that keeps one in good shape.

Thank you for people that have emailed me. I don’t have a timeline or an action plan – sorry. Planning and setting up the research starts next autumn. My very first estimate is that this discussion might take 2 – 3 years and most likely will be published as a book, educational television program and a collection of exercises.

No comments: